Friday, June 11, 2010

Kasese


Yesterday, after spending the night with Mercy's family (not the greatest night of sleep ever but, it was an experience..), we took a day trip to Kasese, the nearest bigger small town around. Patrick (Mercy's husband) needed to get some things with their car fixed, and Angela and Jeff came also, as they just moved into a little cabin for their 5 month stay and needed some things to fix it up with. I was on a mission to buy fabrics, beautiful ones, called kitenges (ki-teng-gays), the patterned cloths that the African women make their dresses out of. Kitenge is the Kenyan word for it, I guess (Mercy and Patrick are Kenyan). Mom will be satisfied to know I was very successful in this mission! While Jeff found a tailor and was being measured for a suit, Mercy took Angela and I around a market filled with stalls that were lined with these fabrics..covering the tables and hanging from bars along the tops. There were so many to chose from, I got some here, some there, some over there, and a few more from just over there. We had lunch at a very nice and expensive (~$7 a meal) hotel that had a beautiful view of the Rwenzoris. None of the pictures I have taken come close to doing justice to them...they look so huge, and lush, carpeted with green, instead of jagged and rocky.

As I'm sure you all know, the World Cup started Friday evening, I watched with a bunch of people at Mercy's. Almost everyone is watching the games when they are on. It is a big deal for Africa! Last night I watched the UK-US game with Craig and Hannah (two brits who got here just a few days ago, med students).
What else.. I have really been enjoying the macro feature on my camera, the flowers here are so beautiful, and so different.
Today, I slept in a bit, which felt really good but I missed breakfast. The girls in the kitchen (I say "in," but it is outside) made me something when they saw I was up, I think they like me =). Later I went with some people to Kingfisher Lodge, to eat really good food and go swimming. The lodge was situated on side of a huge hill, looking out at a huge vista, African plains scattered with acacia trees and cactus trees. On our way back from Kingfisher, we stopped at the equator again for some pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment